Old 24-02-2003, 11:46 PM
Andy Spragg

Default Seed potatoes

Alan Gould pushed briefly to the front of
the queue on Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:59:04 +0000, and nailed this to the
shed door:

^ In article , Alan Holmes alan@holmes-
^ g4crw.freeserve.co.uk writes
^
^ In the past I've always put the tubers on the kitchen windowcill to sprout,
^ but this year the windowcill has been taken up with other things, can I put
^ them in the greenhouse to sprout, and do I need to watch out for frosts?
^
^ An unheated greenhouse will not give sufficient frost protection to
^ chitting potato tubers during Feb./March in UK IMHO.

I've already done what Alan H is enquiring about, and for the same
reasons, except I used my shed rather than a greenhouse. I was having
a look at the tubers on Saturday, and noticed that quite a few had
mouldy spots where protosprouts had previously been. Is this a result
of frost damage?

Andy

--
sparge at globalnet point co point uk