Old 27-01-2006, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default 'Roundup' - risk of collateral damage?

The message
from "Sue" contains these words:

I think Stormin' would be on a hiding to nothing trying to pull out roots
of bindweed - they're so invasive and brittle that it's just about
impossible to dig them all out completely. Glyphosate does the trick
though. I managed last year to get rid of some bindweed in a similar
situation among shrubs and perennials by painting Roundup onto the young
shoots with an old 1'' paintbrush. Where the weed is right in among other
roots or stems one way to do this is to unwind the pieces you can reach and
retrain them outwards/upwards onto a cane or stake. Leave a short while to
grow until it's clear of its neighbours, then you can treat safely without
risking your prize specimens. Good luck!

I got rid of a colony of bindweed just by pulling out the new shoots as
they appeared. At the end of the first year they were getting scrawny,
and at the end of the second year they'd given up.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig