Old 25-02-2003, 05:42 AM
Alan Gould

Default Seed potatoes

In article , Andy Spragg
writes
I've already done what Alan H is enquiring about, and for the same
reasons, except I used my shed rather than a greenhouse. I was having
a look at the tubers on Saturday, and noticed that quite a few had
mouldy spots where protosprouts had previously been. Is this a result
of frost damage?

IMHO it is a result either of frost damage or of prolonged periods in
low temperatures with some dampness or high humidity. Your tubers have a
good chance of recovery given suitable conditions - i.e. stored in near
but not total darkness, free of draughts, dry at min. 5C/40F. We stand
our potato seed upright in egg trays, cover them with newspaper and keep
them under a stage in our conservatory.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.