Old 25-02-2003, 08:30 AM
Martin Brown

Default American frost zones

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker wrote:

Roger.......I find it difficult to talk meaningful "stuff" with many an
English gardener......their way or no way.....just like a visitor to my
place a couple of years ago that told me I knew nothing about cutting
grass.....he wanted to cut mine as short as he cuts his in the UK......could
I get him to understand our reasons for keeping the grass a minimum height
of between 2 1/2 to 3 inches.....not on your life......hec, if I cut mine to
English heights it would be burnt brown before the end of June unless I
poured about an inch of water per day on it.....his final answer was that
American grass must differ from English grass.......what rubbish........HW..

US grass is almost certainly very different to English grass (unless you are so
dumb as to try and grow an English cultivar and smother it in water to keep it
alive). Grasses adapted to hot summer continental climates are different. Even
within England there are a huge choice of grasses and turf qualities depending
on whether you want a perfect bowling green, football pitch or a rough and
tumble play area.

There is a huge range of grass species - they are one of the most successful
plant forms on the planet.

Japanese wild grasses are actually brown for the entire dry cool winter season.
And so are their lawns.

Regards,
Martin Brown