Old 25-02-2003, 08:53 AM
Paul Kelly

Default Pruning a Spirea

"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in
message ...

I would appreciate some advice on how / when / whether to prune a
summer flowering spirea. My "Shrub Expert" advises that summer
flowering spireas should be "pruned more severely - cut back the stems
to a few inches above the ground in early spring". Trouble is, when I
followed this advice, some years ago, on a very pretty Spirea Anthony
Waterer, the plant never recovered! I don't really want to murder the
Goldflame I now have, so I would very much like to know where I went
wrong.

I Goldflame (IME) thrives on being cut back harg in the spring. That way its
eponymous nature is all to evident, without cutting back it floweres but
looks lack lustre.

pk