Old 25-02-2003, 03:12 PM
Dwayne

Default Overmanured ?

Keep in mind that pH of 7 is neutral. Most good plants want it slightly
acidic (6 to 6.5), and some want it more so. Strawberries and blueberries
like acidic soil. Decide what you are going to grow, and adjust your soil
to that. Too much lime and all you will be able to raise is weeds.

Have fun. Dwayne

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

wrote in message ...
When I discovered a source of free horse manure a few years back I
started lavishing the manure on my vegetable plot. The result has to
been to create a beautiful black, friable soil. Lovely to work but ,
last year, almost sterile !
All of my root crops, carrots, parsnips, radish, lettuce, brassicas,
even rasberries, which normally grow as a weed, failed. Seedlings
fail to appear. Plants wither and die. Inspection shows that the
roots systems are almost non-existent . I suspect that something is
eating the roots although I cannot see anything. Can anyone suggest
an explanation and a cure ? Have I overdone the manuring ?

A friend did the same with his allotment, and it wasn't very old manure
either, so he also suffered lessening crops. Last year I suggested a good
dose of lime and that has worked wonders (also seems to have cured his

slug
problem?).
The old gardeners were always liming their soil and it appears to be
something modern gardeners forget, but it is important if you keep pushing
in compost/manure.
Check the ph of your soil, I bet it's now quite acid.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.