Old 28-01-2006, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
80/20

Default A "clay breaker"? Is this possible?

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 20:17:37 +0000, 80/20 wrote
(in message ):

I don't know about this product, but having gardened on heavy yellow clay
with peat below for the last 28 years, I can say from experience that
nothing works better than a spade and copious amounts of compost/manure.
It took me about 5 years to get a decent texture that didn't form into a
ball when pressed in the hand.
All I have to do now is add compost to the top layers and the vast amount
of
worms/other creatures take it down. I'm always amazed where the worms
came
from as I didn't have any when I first started digging the ground.

Steve

I'd dig if I could, but other than occasional holes for planting, I can't.
So
I've been using the no-dig version of this, or the almost-no-dig version.
just add copious amounts of compost, manure, etc and leave the various
soil
life-forms to get on with it. After one year I notice the top layer is
looking an awful lot better, and whenever I plant anything there are
earthworms everywhere- but I think it may take a fair bit longer to get
any
improvement lower down. If there is going to be any.
--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

No dig gardening is perfectly feasible see:
http://www.organicgardening.org.uk/factsheets/gg2.php
for more info.