Old 29-01-2006, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
frogfog

Default Slugs & Copper

in oregon (at least the willamette valley part) there IS a hunting season on
"banana slugs" so called cuz they're about the length of a banana and
they're yellow. in the early mornings, the "snot" trails are so numerous
and shiny, you can see them BEFORE the sun even rises!!!

i'm not sure who wrote it (or why) but in warshington state, especially in
the tourist shops, there's a cookbook having many recipes using banana slug
as the "meat of choice."

ahhh, what is a slug but escargot without a home on its back??
(ARGHHHH!!!!!)
--
With Malus toward none, and Cherry-Trees toward all.

From: "Vox Humana"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 15:27:56 GMT
Subject: Slugs & Copper

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
The majority of copper stripping sold in garden
shops for this purpose is not wide enough to create an effective

barrier,
which would need to be six inches wide, or the largest most destructive
slugs will hump right over it without touching the copper.

Six inch copper? Good Lord, what kind of slugs are we having here?

Something
big enough to "hump" over that is big enough to eat! Maybe a night

watchman
with a shotgun is required. (is there a hunting season?)
Old Chief Lynn

My parents have some species of slug in their area that is larger than your
thumb! The slugs I have are so tiny that you can hardly find them which
makes them really hard to eliminate by picking them off by hand.