Old 29-01-2006, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

Default A "clay breaker"? Is this possible?

"80/20" wrote in message

I don't know about this product, but having gardened on heavy yellow clay
with peat below for the last 28 years, I can say from experience that
nothing works better than a spade and copious amounts of compost/manure.

It took me about 5 years to get a decent texture that didn't form into a
ball when pressed in the hand.

All I have to do now is add compost to the top layers and the vast amount of
worms/other creatures take it down. I'm always amazed where the worms came
from as I didn't have any when I first started digging the ground.

Steve

if you put compost and manure out, the worms will come even if you don't
have one worm. And there are worms in clay wheather we see them or not.
I've dug up my red, sticky stuff that keeps the shape of the long handled
spade and see slippery thin red ones. So they just get a bit happier when we
add compost, leaves and manure so they can drag it back into the clay and
break it down their way. And it does take longer. But I like it better
than adding too much gypsum. It was once suggested to me to use old broken
pieces of drywall as that's gypsum and easily handled and every home
improvement center has broken pieces of drywall they'll give away........

madgardener