Old 29-01-2006, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man

Default Moles!

In article , doug
wrote:

You can buy the traps but you just wouldn't know how or where to put them.

Having tried a number of times to set traps myself and been singularly
unsuccessful, the local molecatcher was called in and after a brief
prod around he set two traps in runs which were nowhere near the many
molehills, and which I didn't know were there. Two days later, both
traps contained (young) dead moles and these two were the cause of
dozens of molehills over a large area (approx 1/3 acre). I wasted many
hours trying to get the job done; the molecatcher charged £40 (no
corpse, no fee) and will be called in again this year.

He also identified the mother mole's lair in a far corner of the garden
but said there was no point in trapping her as a) all the damage is
done by young moles and b) another matriarch would move in if mine were
terminated. (Or was he just making sure I would have to call him in
again the following year?)

If you prefer the shotgun/pitchfork method, leave a hose running near a
recent molehill and the varmit will be burrowing upwards within half an
hour. Unfortunately, whenever I tried this, the varmits waited until my
vigil was interrupted by a visitor/call of nature/etc.

I love all animals and would leave them alone if their activities
weren't dangerous. Unfortunately, it gets to the point where it becomes
dangerous to walk on my lawn because of the likelihood of twisting an
ankle when the ground gives way underfoot.

Stan