Old 29-01-2006, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Moles!

The message
from Stan The Man contains these words:

He also identified the mother mole's lair in a far corner of the garden
but said there was no point in trapping her as a) all the damage is
done by young moles and b) another matriarch would move in if mine were
terminated. (Or was he just making sure I would have to call him in
again the following year?)

Sounds like it. Having worked in that field - sorry! - I'd have copped
Mrs Mole TAAAW.

If you prefer the shotgun/pitchfork method, leave a hose running near a
recent molehill and the varmit will be burrowing upwards within half an
hour. Unfortunately, whenever I tried this, the varmits waited until my
vigil was interrupted by a visitor/call of nature/etc.

Walking down one of my fields some years ago with the gun over my arm, I
spotted movement in the middle of a molehill. Only waiting long enough
to be sure moley was near the top of the mound, i gve it a blast of an
ounce and a quarter of No 4 and blew it right out of the soil. It lay on
its back, motionless, but apparantly unmangled. I picked it up,
intending to put it on the compost heap, but a few paces later it awoke
and began trying to scrabble off...

I love all animals and would leave them alone if their activities
weren't dangerous. Unfortunately, it gets to the point where it becomes
dangerous to walk on my lawn because of the likelihood of twisting an
ankle when the ground gives way underfoot.

Yes indeed. I had a bullock at the time and couldn't afford to have him
bork a leg.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig