Old 29-01-2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
paghat

Default Some early bulbs blooming

My first tulips of the season are already blooming! They're T.
kaufmanniana 'Early Harvest' -- as their name implies they're SUPPOSED to
be among the earliest tulips possible, but last year they didn't bloom
until March, so they're about five or six weeks ahead of themselves this
year. There'll be some other kaufmannianas following soon.

Since December I've had early-blooming crocuses up, including C. korolowii
'Mountain Glory' bloomed (they appeared mid-January last year, by late
December this year); C. sieberi atticus 'Firefly' blooming now, a week or
two earlier than usual. White "tommies" have been blooming for over a
week (they waited until February last year, always ahead of the regular
purple tommies). Crocus ancyrensis 'Golden Bunch' is always notoriously
early, it's been in huge yellow bud for three weeks but because it wants
brightest bright sun & we've had only overcast days the buds refuse to
open (when they finally do open, they could well get beaten to pieces in
one day if it rains, so I like having them as long-lasting yellow buds).
C. laevigatus var fontenayi also bloomed in December, but they're a true
winter crocus so that wasn't unexpected; the 'Mountain Glory' blooming in
December ahead of even 'Golden Bunch' was a big suprise.

Iris reticulata 'Purple Gem' has been blooming for over a week while Iris
x histroides 'Katherine Hodgkin' is in big fat bud that might open later
today. These two irises bloomed February last year so are two or three
weeks earlier than expected. If a lot of stuff seems a mite early this
year, the winter-flowering hepaticas are by contrast a mite late, I guess
they feel it just hasn't been cold enough to really be winter.

Winter cyclamens (C. coum) are still in full bloom all over the place.
Narcissus grass is up all over the place, but only a few buds, no blooms
this early.

Just about every year there's SOMEthing blooming much earlier than I
expect & just about every year someone says "It's global warming" but I
suspect most people just forget when blooms started appearing the previous
year & are surprised each year when spring flowers appear before spring.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html