Old 29-01-2006, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,alt.aquaria
Koi-lo

Default How much aeration needed?

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .
Koi-lo wrote:

"Cliff L" wrote in message
oups.com...

It's more natural than a plain glass bottom.

True, but I wonder how common a gravel subtrate is
for aquarium fish in the wild, as opposed to mud or
larger river stones.

======================
That depends where you live. Here the river bottoms are covered with
stones and pebbles of various sizes, the soil washed downstream ages ago.
On L.I. the ponds and inlets were sand, pebbles and stones. The lake
here has a mud and rock bottom.

If memory serves me rightly, the bottom of the Thames is squidgy mud with
the odd bit of stone/gravel but predominately mud...used to get stuck
between your toes - lol. It was a long time ago when I was mad enough to
swim in there but I'm pretty sure that it won't have changed much....

Your Thames then is much like our Hudson and East Rivers in NYC. Those
rivers have a sludge over the soil and whatever boulders, stones and pebbles
are there. You can well call it squidgy mud. And we have trash! Ugh,
trash of every description from broken bottles to used baby diapers in those
rivers. Very nasty stuff you don't even want to put your feet in.... :þ
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952