Old 29-01-2006, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Winter Cauliflowers

"Dave wrote

Hi was wondering if someone could help me here. When are Winter
Cauliflowers supposed to form their heads? I have an Armando April
Variety from the Dutch strain.

Would you believe ... April ... as the name suggests.

The leaves were badly damaged by Cabbage White; and other; caterpillars
which decimated some of the leaves. Can anyone recommend a way of
keeping caterpillars off Brassicas? I am worried that the damage has
caused them not to form heads.

Fine nets or "Envormesh" is the only way I know to keep butterflies from
laying eggs but it's a pain for weeding having to take it off and put it
back. For pigeons CD's strung up on poles to spin and flash in the sun,
Video tape tied onto poles to wave, flash and rustle in the breeze.
I doubt it will have damaged them that much, they have a couple of months
nearly to continue growing and no more caterpillars. You'll know when curds
are growing when the leaves at the top start to curl round.

My Dad used to grown them several years ago, and said that on some
occasions his went blind. I watered them throughout the dry summer,
and tried to keep pest down to a minimum.

They don't like any check on growth, like draught, but I've always found
this variety very reliable.

--
Regards
Bob