Old 29-01-2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G.

Default Water questions and your advice

To start at the beginning, I rescued a phaleanopsis hybrid from a
relative. I don't know exactly what caused the problems with the
plant, probably a nasty combination of watering with cold softened
water and being on a drafty windowsill. The leaves were limp with a
leathery appearance. I brought the plant home and leached it with
warmed filtered water at my sink. It still lost the lowest leaf, but
the other three have firmed up considerably, and there is a new leaf
growing. A few days ago I found an aquarium test kit with water
amendment treatments at an outlet store I scrounge around in
occasionally. It got me thinking and I have done some research on the
subject of water since, and bought a packet of "Jungle" test strips
that test for nitrate, nitrite, alkalinity, hardness, and PH.

For my orchids I use a fertilizer mix that involves 1 lb. of 20-20-20
dissolved into a 64 oz container and 3 tsp. Super Thrive. I use
roughly 1 tsp per gallon of water from this mix when I feed the orchids
(if my calculations are correct it is 50% of the recommended strength).
I also mix into a 2 gallon sprayer or 5 gallon bucket and let the
water sit overnight or a few days to achieve room temperature. BTW,
the water is filtered in my plant room (a recent addition). The PH is
still high between 7.2 and 7.5. Is it better to lower the PH with
cider vinegar or distilled white (5% acid)?

I have a varied collection. Most of the phals are still in bark, but
need repotting. Haven't decided yet what mix to repot them into,
most have bloom spikes and think I will wait until May of June. Most
of the cattleyas are in CHC, Paphs and Phrags are mainly in CHC and
coir (some in Aussie Gold). I also have a few misc. in baskets,
mounted, and S/H as a test. I am trying reduce stress during the
winter, and amending the water quality seems to be the best way. Too
many different orchids, I know, but am still learning.

Previously I moved the orchids outside in the summer and inside during
the winter. They hate the winter. It's probably a combination of
missing the rain, harder water, too high PH, and difficulty in properly
leaching. My main objective was to keep them alive until I could move
them out again. This year I am considering keeping them in my growing
room for the summer.

Thanks,

Nancy G.