Old 25-02-2003, 06:46 PM
Kay Easton

Default American frost zones

In article , Roger Van Loon
writes
Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Roger Van Loon
writes

OK, you are right, of course. Depending upon "how fine you make your
divisions", the whole of the UK (or Europe, or the whole northern
hemisphere) can be one climatic zone :-)
(not an USDA zone of course)

And the UK with its short winter day length and cold wet winters doesn't
fit happily into the UK zones.

I suppose by that last you mean "the USDA zones".

Yep, sorry - typo.

Then, it's not a
question of fitting (happily or unhappily). It's just a question of
temperatures and statistics: they show what zone you are in, the whole
world over. Day length or wetness don't have anything to do with
that system :-))

Agreed. But being able to grow a particular plant does.

You could just as well state that the US, with their continental
climate, don't fit well into their zone system :-)))

Though I had the impression from this thread that US gardeners find the
system a good indicator of whether a particular plant will survive?

Of course (sigh) for the winter survival of plants there are also
other factors involved...

Yes - at least we have one point we can agree on! :-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/