Old 29-01-2006, 10:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

Default Planted or Mussel Seeded External Filter?

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 08:42:37 GMT, "Wanda" wrote:

I've been considering having a go at a biological filter/water feature using
nutrient hungry plants or mussels in a resin water rapids leading into the
main
pond. I was wondering if anyone had particular thoughts or opinions on this?
I've seen it done at a pond store & it looks effective. I thought it might
be attractive to frogs & damselflies/dragonflies.

It will work, fish load is what determines the need for alternative
filtration.

My lily pond was a frog pond to begin with, I didn't use filtration, other
than having a spitting fountain with just 2 goldfish. Since I've increased
those numbers and want to make maintenance easier I hope to get the outside
filter done this spring.

What is the resin for? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us