Old 25-02-2003, 07:01 PM
SusieThompson

Default beech hedge and rhodo ponticum

Is there any way in which rhododendron ponticum could kill a length of
beech hedge? The rhodo shrub is regularly trimmed and has been kept
under control probably since it was first planted. It looks as if there
is no way that it could ever have overgrown the hedge. The hedge is
about six feet high and thick. Both the beech hedge and the rhodo must
be pretty old - the house itself is Victorian. We've been asked by the
owner to buy in some potted beech hedging to fill in a seven foot gap.

This gap is directly opposite the rhodo, but about three to four feet
away from the rhodo itself. John, the owner has said something about
putting lime in with the roots of the beech when planting, to help to
"counteract" the rhodo, which he says killed the beech hedge at this
point. Could the rhodo roots have done any damage to the hedge? Can
anybody help with this - it's not our garden, and I'm a bit puzzled by
his comments. Thanks.
--
Susie Thompson, Isle of Arran
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with "arrandragons.co.uk" to