Old 29-01-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeW

Default pruning copper beech

Nick Maclaren, : wrote:
In article ,
MikeW wrote:

Hmm well its not that unreasonable I have a very long garden the
neighbour has only 35ft and this tree is very close to the boundary
although not overhanging it.
Its vitally important in these cases to try and see the situation from
the other peoples point.

You sound like a decent, neighbourly sort of person :-)

life is to short for anything else.:-)

Which aspect? If it is to the north of his garden, there is a much
lesser problem than if it is to the south.

north-east to there garden, so It does cast a shade in the later
afternoon.

Of course I will be using a tree surgeon to curry out this work but
wondering if anyone had first hand knowledge with this tree species.

My posting was based on certain knowledge. Beech is one of the trees
that can be coppiced, and is commonly grown as a hedge. But it is
less clear whether that is feasible for such a large tree.

As someone else posted, it is quite possible that the tree has simply
got too big for the location, in which case it might be reasonable
to remove it (the timber has value) and replace it by something else.

Yes I had considered this, but I am unhappy completely destroying any
tree.
I have a tree surgeon coming to look at it tomorrow, so I will see what
his opinion is.
Thanks
MikeW