Old 30-01-2006, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

Default What kind of mulch do you suggest?

"sockiescat" wrote in message

i was wondering what kind of mulch people here use. i am considering
putting coloured cedar bark (black) on the areas of our flowerbeds
that
i redid. i have never added mulch to the beds before. i have surfed
the
net and googled and a lot of places say that some cedar and pine
mulchs
can affect your flowering shrubs, some of the flowers, as well as
taking
nitrogen out of the soil.
if anyone can help me on this i would greatly appreciate any input.
thanks everyone for taking the time to answer. cyaaa, sockiescat.

I drive about 3 miles to a county trash transfer station. They have 1
huge pile of mulch and depending in what area of the pile I dig, it's
different colors and textures. A hundred feed away is an equally huge
compost pile, and again, depending on where I get it, it can be fine
or course, but always great. The cost of either by the bag or by the
truck load - 0 nada nothing zip
Maybe you trash service has something similar, then all you do is add
fertilizer as needed.

Tom J