Old 30-01-2006, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Wolf Kirchmeir

Default Global warming?

Persephone wrote:
...or *something*!

Even in So. Calif coastal, where it's usually mild, we're not
having much winter. Garden things are happening out of season.

For example, the leaves haven't even finished falling off my Wisteria,
when a few blooms already appear.

And my Cape Jasmine is flowering up a storm, way ahead of time.

I usually prune roses late January, so went ahead and did it,
but had to remove a lot of lovely, lush new foliage.

Any other "early" stories out there?

Persephone

--

The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

Lost three roses last year (mid-Northern Ontario) because we had an
early spring thaw February/March that lasted three weeks - just long
enough to persuade the roses it was time to start setting buds. Then we
had what used to be normal March weather, a couple of weeks of around -5
to -10C overnight, with mostly below freezing days, too.

The really scary thing about climate change is that the models predict
that a climate flip or turnover sould happpen in less than a century.
That is, some reasonable sets of inputs into the models predict very
rapid climate changes, others sets (only slightly different) predict
slow changes. But we don't know enough about the present climate to be
able to say which sets of input assumptions reflect reality. So we're
stuck with guessing. We could have a mostly tropical planet by 2100. But
the ecosystems can't adapt that fast. So ---