Old 25-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Paul Kelly

Default Laying a Lawn: new over old?

"Hugh Chaloner" wrote in message
news:1fqy1s3.1wvmuxuo6p4d4N%hughchal_nospamthanks@ eircom.net...

and was wondering if anybody has advice about laying a new lawn over an
existing one? I've just moved to a new (old) house with a "tired" and
unlovely lawn about 12 x 36 feet.

Or do I need to re-lay the lawn at all - looks as if the soil & lawn are
in poor condition - lots of stone and weeds. I'm assuming that I should
start again.

Yes, in all probability you need to start again.

Glyphosate spray.
Leave three weeks
Deep and repeated rotovation remove any big stones
Generous (4") of organic matter over the top
Rotovate in
Do the Hamilton Tred - heels together, shuffle over the whole area twice on
a cross pattern
Rake level, removing all stone which surface
Leave for a week to settle then rake again - you are looking for a fine
grade leavl and flat surface.
Turf!

Counsel of perfection i know but if it really is an old lawn it will be well
compacted to some depth and exhausted of organic matter below the top few
inches.

pk