Old 30-01-2006, 08:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

Default What kind of mulch do you suggest?

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:21:06 +0000
sockiescat wrote:

i was wondering what kind of mulch people here use. i am considering
putting coloured cedar bark (black) on the areas of our flowerbeds that
i redid. i have never added mulch to the beds before. i have surfed the
net and googled and a lot of places say that some cedar and pine mulchs
can affect your flowering shrubs, some of the flowers, as well as taking
nitrogen out of the soil.
if anyone can help me on this i would greatly appreciate any input.
thanks everyone for taking the time to answer. cyaaa, sockiescat.

Shredded Flax. It's cheap, decorative, stays in place, is neutral
and adds good soil structure when decomposed.

Colored bark is pretty garish, might look better with plastic flowers.
Also, won't black raise the soil temperature?

I have one bed that I use pine bark, but it's a real pain with
the strimmer. I also do use some leaf mould, which is arguably
the best solution, but I find it's a little less neat looking than I
like around trees.

-E
--
Emery Davis