Old 25-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Kay Easton

Default American frost zones

In article t, Anne
Middleton/Harold Walker writes
I, for one, find the plant zonal classification not only helpful but
absolutely essential...without it I would be completely at a loss when it
comes to plant survival possibilities........it is only helpful re
temperature and is not an indicator of dry or wet, sun or shade etc. etc..
There is little point in planting a perennial or shrub rated for zone 9 in a
zone 6 location...it would not survive. Even tho a zone 6 rated plant may
survive temperature wise there is no certainty whatsoever it will survive a
particular location due to other circumstances........anyone suggesting that
the system has no value within the USA should take a few lessons in USA
horticulture.......HW.

I don't think anyone was, were they? I thought we were only arguing
about whether it is useful in the UK.

But I know that within my own garden, the words 'sunny well drained
position' is as big a contraindication as any words about hardiness or
otherwise ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: