Old 30-01-2006, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Default Beth Chatto Dry Garden?

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Hi

Anybody own this book?

I've looked at it on Amazon, but the excerpts don't seem to have many
pages with
photo's.
Are there many illustrations in the book? I hate just text........... :~)

And is the Gravel Garden in the same vein?

I have both. The Dry Garden came out in 1978, has a few black and
white photos and some BW sketches. The Gravel Garden came out in 2000,
my edition * (present this Christmas) has lots of gorgeous colour pics
and far more plants and detail discussed. Bear in mind, she didn't start
the gravel garden if the title until 91.

The second book is much more enjoyable imho. BC has 20 years more
experience in her own garden to draw on, in a period of climate change
(hotter drier summers in Essex) , but more importantly has spent that 20
years travelling the world and studying dry environments etc, and
comparing notes with other great gardeners like Christopher Lloyd.

By the time she wrote the Gravel Garden book she knew an awful lot more
about gardening in dry climates than she did in 78, and many more exotic
plants had been introduced to UK gardening.

*published by Francis Lincoln ISBN 0 71122 1425 5 57986 (25 quid on
cover but I know he got it cheaper on Amazon)

Janet