Old 30-01-2006, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

Default Need flower identification posters

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Des Higgins" contains these words:

STAY CALM EVERYONE.

For what should be a calm inducing hobby;

Gardeners are almost always energetic, determined and down to earth.
Weilding godlike powers of creativity, life and death in our own
backyard, together with having such a dazzling array of choice in every
seed catalogue, eventually makes us highly opinionated. I can't imagine
how you got gardening mixed up with chanting OM or stamp collecting.

Buddhist urban legend goes:
if you want to get wise, get a garden.
A few hours of digging or planting is worth twice that of chanting.

this is a bizarrely hostile
newsgroup.

That suggests you have very little experience of other newsgroups.
This one is notably tame, gentle, clean, restrained etc. But only
because the participants are so good at weeding, cutting, burning and
pest control.

It is actually medium hostile. Compared to the big crazy groups it is
indeed placid but what is odd is how most posters here are not trollers or
undergrad stoned students or loonies and yet you get these tetchy outbursts
and insane crossposting efforts.
I find it bizarre seeing as almost everyone who regularly posts here is
pretty normal and helpful.
Anyway,
do stay calm all.

Janet