Old 30-01-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Best plants for Hanging Baskets?

On 30/1/06 16:23, in article , "Judith
Lea" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Sacha, is there another name for this as I don't know it?

Lotus maculata or Lotus berthelotii.
http://tinyurl.com/7pnem will give you a pic of the latter.

Thank you for this - I took a look and I was impressed - I will
certainly try some this year - can they be kept inside during the Winter
and used again another year or are they one-off plants?

It's a superb plant and yes, you can over-winter them and keep them going
for years, as long as they're kept frost-free. We have two baskets planted
only with Lotus in the biggest greenhouse and they're about three years old.
They're hung on wires about 8' or so off the ground and they trail nearly
to the floor, as does a Bacopa 'Snowflake' of about the same age. While I
really love the riotous assembly of plants in a mixed basket, there's a lot
to be said for a basket filled with just one plant type in one colour, too.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk