Old 31-01-2006, 05:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

Default Tree recommendation? (maple?)

"Keith" wrote in message
. 17.102
I live in Battle Creek Michigan, and this spring I'd like to
put a
tree (or two) in my front yard, halfway between the house and
sidewalk. While I'm not a huge fan of raking leaves, I'm not
big on
the "evergreen look", so I think I'll be raking. I was thinking
of
some Maple variety, but not sure what to look for (any website
recommendations that have variety comparisons?). The house is
East
of my front yard (street is west) and there is no direct
competition for sun along the North/South angle except a tall
thin
evergreen I'm inclined to get rid of.

Anyway, I live in a 2-story house and wouldn't mind some summer
shade on the side of the house, but I also have a "Michigan
basement" (stacked stone foundation) and don't know if I need
worry about roots at all. I'm thinking not, because hopefully
there
isn't any moisture there to attract the roots, but figured I'd
better check to see if Maple is ok or if there are other issues
and/or desirable tree alternatives.

I appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
keith

How far from the house do you plan on planting the trees.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5