Old 31-01-2006, 03:01 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Maidenhair Ferns

In article ,
Bier de Stone
U wrote:
Where can I find a dedicated site with information on how to grow
Maidenhair Ferms to it`s optimal potential? I am discovering mealybugs
on my potted fern and wish to rid my plant of them but most pesticides
on the market specify that they`re not to be used on Maidenhair Ferms.

I've managed to control mealybugs on houseplants by holding the pot
upside down, with my fingers holding back soil and plant, and swishing
it in a sink full of warm water with a little dishwashing soap. Then
I rinse it in plain water by the same method. Afterwards, I go over
the plant carefully with a cotton swab and remove any bugs I've missed.
I usually use a little rubbing alcohol on the swab.

Ferns, however, are more sensitive than higher plants, in general, so
you may want to test this on a few fronds before you do it to the whole
plant.

Check the plant carefully for several weeks to see if there were any
survivors.

Another approach, if it happens to be the growing season, is to put the
plant outdoors, and hope predatory insects find it and feast on the pests.

Btw, if worse comes to worst, you can cut the entire fern back to
the soil line, watch for and remove any remaining bugs, and let it
grow back.

Personally, I haven't had much luck keeping maidenhair ferns alive and
healthy as a house plant. They need a more humid environment than I
can readily give them in winter.