Old 26-02-2003, 06:18 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Monkey puzzle tree

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:38:54 +0000 (UTC), "sw"
wrote:

What is a good situation to plant a monkey puzzle tree?.

Well away from buildings, streets, parking lots, and such. They
get to be surprisingly big in time, and they detest root
disturbance. Here in Victoria, BC, we have a fair number of
mature monkey puzzle trees. There is male in front of my (former)
place of work; photographs from 1974 show it just at the roof
line when the building was new (it was a holdover from a former
residential planting). Nearly thirty years later it is a good
twenty feet (perhaps more) above the roof. For many years, it was
clearly unhappy and its survival was questionable, but eventually
it pulled through.

But another mature specimen wasn't so lucky. A "neighbourhood
pub" was built too close to the tree, and within a very few years
it was dead as a doornail. And the pub owner had had the hubris
to call his establishment the "Monkey Tree Pub". No monkey puzzle
there, these days!

Might one survive
ok on a level windy site, which is not a seaside location?

Victoria is a fairly breezy city with sal****er on three sides,
and gets quite high winds sometimes, but such monkey puzzles as
we have *tend* to be in the more sheltered parts of town.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada