Old 31-01-2006, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
80/20

Default plastic compost bin & aeration

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
I just got a plastric compost bin. It has three small slots on either side
near the top, presumably for ventialtion, and that's it- other than the
open
base and the removable top there is no other ventilation. That leaves a
lot
of plastic- the thing is about four feet high! In this respect it looks
like
it wasn't very well designed.

Does this sound like a good idea- I just go and drill a lot of small holes
around it with a drill to increase the ventilation?

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

I've got two bins - one is as you describe with holes around the top, the
other has none at all. Both bins make equally as good compost, its all in
the mix.
I know that the books tell you that you should stir up the brew every now
and then, all I do is add many different items and occasionally stir the top
3 or 4 inches around, this seems to work for me. Also, during summer make
sure that you save the kitchen waste to mix with the grass cuttings before
adding them.
The one thing I've stopped adding to the bin is potato peelings, they sprout
out all over the garden, I'm sure someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Steve