Old 31-01-2006, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Default plastic compost bin & aeration

The message
from "80/20" contains these words:

The one thing I've stopped adding to the bin is potato peelings, they
sprout
out all over the garden, I'm sure someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Summat's wrong with your potato peeling technique for a start :-) I
bet you're one of the male heathen who ever so slowly hack off wedges
of outer potato, and all the vitamins, and bits of knuckle, with a
knife. Try a hand-held potato peeling tool, preferably from Lancashire,
and your fast, even, paper- thin potato peels will never have enough
substance to sprout again.

Also, you may be spreading the compost bin contents prematurely. When
it's ready to take out and use, it should be a loose dark puddingy cake
of decomposed material, no sign of a potato peeling, elderly carrot top
etc. Only eggshells and avocado pips ever remain identifiable in mine.

Janet