Old 31-01-2006, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jadel

Default Water questions and your advice

Kenni Judd wrote:
I have never tried vinegar for pH adjustment, but I suspect the white would

be a better choice [probably less additives]....

What additives? Distilled (white) vinegar is made from distilled
alcohol. That's the big difference between it and other vinegars, and
it's what accounts white vinegar's lack of any flavor other than
acetic acid.

Good old cider vinegar will do just as well. There's nothing "added"
to it, except by the apples.

Most vinegar sold in the US is 5% acetic acid, so any pH calculations
need to take that into account Some specialty vinegars are weaker; the
bottle will give the concentration.

Somebody might want to try diluting more concentrated or, god knows
why, glacial acetic acid, but I don't recommend it. They can cause
serious burns to the skin and eyes, especailly glacial acetic.

J. Del Col