Old 31-01-2006, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel

Default Allotment Choice

"Janet Baraclough" replied

I have to choose between 2 allotments,
Do I choose soggy couch grass or a zillion horsetail?

you can build raised beds for growing in, and never have to worry about

watering.
The horsetail one will be a long nightmare. I would rather wait for
another vacancy than take a horsetail plot.

Thanks for the reply, Janet. I'm swaying towards the couch grass plot
because I know that horsetail is even more of a nightmare! I started
digging out the horsetail last weekend (it's just starting to emerge from
dormancy). In just a 2x1 foot area I had half a bucket full of roots (and
that was the area with fewest horsetails). However, the couch grass is also
totally covering the allotment with not a single inch free of it. Both
plots are crap, actually, and I'm wondering if I should bother at all, but
I've been on the waiting list for many years and it could be many more years
before anything else becomes vacant. Decisions, decisions!

Regards.