Old 26-02-2003, 10:19 AM
Rufus

Default Acanthus 'problem' - no longer flowers

"Surya" wrote in a message news:
The Bears Breeches (Acanthus) used to flower in the balcony pot well
for a couple of years but has not done for 3 years now. The leaves
begin early and seem fine but by about July the plant looks worn out.
It shares a pot with a Clematis that does thrive and face SE on a 2nd
floor London balcony. Do I feed it more? When and how? Ideas?
Experiences?

I had the same problem with my eight years old pot grown Acanthus. As each
year passed, it became weaker and weaker with no flowers at all. Three years
ago I planted it in my north facing front garden and since doing so, it has
romped away. Last year there were eight flowering spikes, the year before it
had five.

Rufus