Old 31-01-2006, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
80/20

Default plastic compost bin & aeration

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "80/20" contains these words:

The one thing I've stopped adding to the bin is potato peelings, they
sprout
out all over the garden, I'm sure someone can tell me what I'm doing
wrong.

Summat's wrong with your potato peeling technique for a start :-) I
bet you're one of the male heathen who ever so slowly hack off wedges
of outer potato, and all the vitamins, and bits of knuckle, with a
knife. Try a hand-held potato peeling tool, preferably from Lancashire,
and your fast, even, paper- thin potato peels will never have enough
substance to sprout again.

Also, you may be spreading the compost bin contents prematurely. When
it's ready to take out and use, it should be a loose dark puddingy cake
of decomposed material, no sign of a potato peeling, elderly carrot top
etc. Only eggshells and avocado pips ever remain identifiable in mine.

Janet

First: I own up to being male - or at least the last time I looked I was.
Second: I don't mind admitting that I do the preparing of the potatoes,
carrots, parsnips, swede, etc.
Third: I do use a peeler thingy - goodness know from where.
Four: The crops are organic and yes sometimes things aren't as "perfect" as
the washed Supermarket ones so I cut things out. They could just be the
sprouting bits.
Fifth: As Geoff Hamilton always said the compost smell, looks and feels good
enough to eat.
Sixth: Yes I've given up on eggshells, they never breakdown like the books
tell you.
Seventh: The garden has flourished on the compost as originally we had
yellow clay, now we have a fine tilth.
Eight: Might of guessed a woman (wo of men) would blame the peeler :-}

Cheers
Steve