Old 31-01-2006, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

Default Tree recommendation? (maple?)

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 03:04:57 GMT
Keith wrote:

I live in Battle Creek Michigan, and this spring I'd like to put a tree (or
two) in my front yard, halfway between the house and sidewalk. While I'm
not a huge fan of raking leaves, I'm not big on the "evergreen look", so I
think I'll be raking. I was thinking of some Maple variety, but not sure
what to look for (any website recommendations that have variety
comparisons?). The house is East of my front yard (street is west) and
there is no direct competition for sun along the North/South angle except a
tall thin evergreen I'm inclined to get rid of.

Anyway, I live in a 2-story house and wouldn't mind some summer shade on
the side of the house, but I also have a "Michigan basement" (stacked stone
foundation) and don't know if I need to worry about roots at all. I'm
thinking not, because hopefully there isn't any moisture there to attract
the roots, but figured I'd better check to see if Maple is ok or if there
are other issues and/or desirable tree alternatives.

Keith,

You do need to worry about roots. Maples are shallowly rooting
generally, with some exceptions like pseudoplatanus, so you need
to think about the distance from your foundation. Of course the
smaller the tree, generally, the less you need to worry.

A great place to see a lot of different maples on the web is

www.esveld.nl

They have a catalogue in English. Their are so many maples to talk
about that without your narrowing it down, we can't provide much
info. Acer anything, is a maple. Look at esveld under the 'a's...

HTH

-E
--
Emery Davis