Old 01-02-2006, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dwayne

Default Sweet corn tasteless

Next time you cook some, add a cup of sugar to the water you boil it in and
see if that will help. It does sometimes for me. It doesn't answer your
question, but might make it taste better.

Dwayne

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Boron Elgar" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 23:48:14 GMT, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

I am a fairly experienced gardener but this is my first year growing

sweet
corn. The plants are all well grown, the cobs are large and the kernels

are
full and juicy. But the taste is quite poor. It would be less than
half

an
hour between cutting and cooking. I have been sampling some every few

days
for a couple of weeks but the result is the same, the texture when
cooked

is
heavy and chewy (despite the kernels looking good) and the flavour is

bland
and not sweet (despite the variety being supposedly very sweet).

So what's wrong? Is it too young, too old or some other thing?

David

What variety did you plant?

Boron

Kelvedon Glory which is an F1 hybrid.