Old 01-02-2006, 03:17 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
zoomer

Default Oak Tree Bonsai

"Inez" wrote in message
oups.com...

webmodefreer wrote:
Hi, Everyone, I`m new to bonsai, could any one tell me if it is worth
trying to grow bonsai oaks from acorns?, or would it be more rewarding
in term of success to stsrt with the some other type of trees, any
suggestions?

Oaks can make nice bonsais. Growing them from acorns means it will be
a few years before you can really get started though.

Junipers are quite nice for beginners and experts alike.

Yes, do it! Any tree started from seed (especially oaks) will take time,
extra effort. Success will be even sweeter for such an effort. You will
never have such success if you do not try. I live in the Mojave desert.
While visiting the east coast I grabbed two handfulls of Pin Oak and another
oak. My folks thought I was crazy . . . "what are you gonna do with oak
trees in the desert?" That was two years ago. They really are slow growing
and are only six inches tall (eight have survived). They are in one of
those long window sill type pots, all together. I think that I will put
them in seperate pots before spring.

Robert - Mojave Desert