Old 01-02-2006, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook

Default Sweet corn tasteless

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 23:48:14 GMT, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

I am a fairly experienced gardener but this is my first year growing sweet
corn. The plants are all well grown, the cobs are large and the kernels are
full and juicy. But the taste is quite poor. It would be less than half an
hour between cutting and cooking. I have been sampling some every few days
for a couple of weeks but the result is the same, the texture when cooked is
heavy and chewy (despite the kernels looking good) and the flavour is bland
and not sweet (despite the variety being supposedly very sweet).

So what's wrong? Is it too young, too old or some other thing?

David

Pick it when the ears are smaller. They do tend to get gummy when
they get too large. If you pierce a kernel with your fingernail does
it squirt juice?
--
Susan N.