Old 01-02-2006, 10:50 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
just me

Default Oak Tree Bonsai

zoomer mentioned in passing :
Yes, do it! Any tree started from seed (especially oaks) will take
time, extra effort. Success will be even sweeter for such an effort.
You will never have such success if you do not try. I live in the
Mojave desert. While visiting the east coast I grabbed two handfulls
of Pin Oak and another oak. My folks thought I was crazy . . . "what
are you gonna do with oak trees in the desert?" That was two years
ago. They really are slow growing and are only six inches tall
(eight have survived). They are in one of those long window sill
type pots, all together. I think that I will put them in seperate
pots before spring.

We've done most of ours from seed, as well, and you are right. The
enjoyment increases as the tree grows. Your eight little guys sound just
lovely. Have you considered making some of them into a grove? I have
wanted to created a bonsai grove for some time now but have not convinced
the right trees to cooperate yet. The oaks might do very nicely. I'm
working on some maples now that, in another year or two they might be ready
if they all survive.

-Aula, Vermont

--
Conventionality is not morality. Self-righteousness is not religion. To
attack the first is not to assail the last. -Charlotte Bronte (from