Old 01-02-2006, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel

Default blueberry

"dirt dibbler" wrote
I am thinking of planting a row of cheap blueberry bushes on my
allotment,
The hole being filled with ericacious compost may be a good start, but
how would I maintain an acidic soil in future?

Hi, DD. Here are some links to sites that give good advice on growing
blueberries. I grow mine in pots of ericaceous compost and use ericaceous
fertiliser. I was going to plant some on my new allotment, but apparently
someone dug up (stole) some blueberry bushes from a neighbouring allotment!!

You need to make sure your soil is acid before you plant (add lots of peat)
and maintain the acidity by adding appropriate mulches (pine needles, peat).
Where are you located, is your soil acid?

Hope these website help:

http://www.suffolkblues.co.uk/growers-notes.html
http://berrygrape.oregonstate.edu/fr.../blueberry.htm
http://www.dorset-blueberry.com/cultivation/index.asp