Old 01-02-2006, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

Default Allotment Choice

"Mel" wrote in message
Hi all, can you please help with my dilemma?

I have to choose between 2 allotments, both of which are in abandoned
states. One site absolutely full of horsetail, and I mean so
chock-a-block
that in some places I can hardly get a fork in for the roots. The other
site is full of couch grass and is very wet (I can hear the soil
squelching
when I walk on it).

It's between a rock and a hard place! Do I choose soggy couch grass or a
zillion horsetail?

It is indeed a hard choice. I would go for the one with the horsetails
though, in summer you will at least be able to hoe off the tops and present
the appearance of having dealt with the weeds.

Briefly.
The couch grass is on runners and is a bugger to hoe.

Although in reality you are almost certainly going to end up with both,
that's how they work. My allotment has both, plus ground elder, nettles, and
bindweed, not to mention raspberry canes escaping from a neighbouring
garden. All coming from various sides and aiming to meet in the middle. I
wouldn't mind if there was a chance they'd have a final confrontation and
destroy each other :-((

All you can do is try to keep them down to a manageable level.

Steve