Old 01-02-2006, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Global warming?

"James" wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "James" contains these words:

Persephone wrote in message

...or *something*!

Global warming is a political issue. It's been around ever since they

talked
about a new ice age coming back in the 70s. They changed that because
of

no
interest and global warming replaced it. Kyoto was supposed to be the

answer
and now it's all but dead. The signees of the treaty have not reduced

any of
their emissions

You're mistaken. KYOTO is only the tip of the iceberg; it's
acknowledged here as too little too late. FYI, the whole of Europe is
committed to much tighter emission reductions than KYOTO. In Britain,
we're working on three different reduction commitments ,international
(Kyoto), European and UK, at every level of the community (from
business to individual households). CO2 reduction , and moving to
renewable , sustainable, non-polluting energy sources are already huge
business here, and America risks being left very far behind.

Janet.

Yes. I know Europe is much more rabid about it than we are. But from what
I've read, no one has yet met their Kyoto targets. Though Kyoto has only
been in actual effect for a year, it has been committed to for some time
now. I would have thought they would be further along. It will be
interesting to see how well they perform in coming years. I misspoke
saying
they haven't reduced emissions. They just haven't met their goal according
to the timetable.

Don't hold your breath waiting for perfection. Some of the provisions
require improvements to coal-burning facilities, and it's so much easier and
cheaper to simply purchase the public officials who can make the enforcement
go away. That's what's happening here.