Old 01-02-2006, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dirt dibbler

Default blueberry

Bob Hobden wrote:
"dirt dibbler" wrote
I am thinking of planting a row of cheap blueberry bushes on my
allotment,
If I were doing them in pots on the patio I would pot in ericacious
compost.

What would work best for planting in the ground?

The hole being filled with ericacious compost may be a good start, but
how
would I maintain an acidic soil in future?

You need first to test the pH of your allotment soil, my last one was 7 our
new one is well under 6 and will be OK for Blueberries as it is.
If you have over 6, and worse, over 7, then you can't put them in the soil
directly and I would suggest a raised peat bed. Put boards around the bed
you intend using about 30cm high and fill with ericaceous
compost/peat/manure and plant the berries in that. If you sink it below the
surrounding soil level you will get water coming from there into your bed
and changing the pH upwards.
A friend has done this in order to grow acid lovers and it's worked very
well for years.

--
Regards
Bob

Thanks all, for the info.

Incidentally, I bought my first two bushes from woolies, at just under
a fiver & buy one get one free, I consider that a good deal, although
they are very small twigs at the moment.
Just waiting for them to replenish the shelf before I have a few more,
same offer is on other soft fruits as well.

DD