Old 01-02-2006, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default daisies and lawn

H Ryder wrote:
I'd ideally love to have a lawn sprinkled with daisies but without
great lumps of other lawn weeds such as dandelions. At teh moment my
lawn has plenty of daisies but is also so full of dandelions that teh
grass is struggling to compete (we also have a lot of clover which I
do not mind). Any suggestions as to how to eradicate (or at least cut
down) the dandelions? There are too many and the lawn is too big for
hand weeding. I thought of pouring some kind of selective weed killer
over the worst bits. Will teh daisies recolonise them? Can you buy
daisy seed and can I just sprinkle it on? can you still get selective
weedkiller that works? I tried spraying all the dandelions with some
last year but it had no effect (it was just a hand held pot of spot
weeder.) any idea where I went wrong?
TIA,

No lawn is complete without daisies! The only thing you did wrong was
probably to expect complete results from a single application:
dandelions are very tough and have remarkable powers of recovery. I'm
wondering if the best approach might be to dig up as many daisies as you
have time and energy for, plant them in seed-trays, then hit the lawn
with the usual weed-and-feed till you're sure the dandelions etc have
surrendered; then replant the daisies. Once re-established, the daisies
will spread again. You'll have to keep on top of any new dandelions
which appear, of course: but maybe spot treatment will be enough.

You can buy daisy seed, but I think just scattering it on a lawn would
be disappointing, as few would come up. Let the plants do it for you:
they can afford the waste.

--
Mike.