Old 26-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Dwayne

Default Overmanured ?

SLUGS. You made an interesting point that I have never even considered.
They were always a bother in my strawberry bed (ph 6 to 6.5). I had to
treat it often to keep them down. I would have never associated their
presence with the pH level. Thanks.

Dwayne

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Dwayne" wrote in message
Keep in mind that pH of 7 is neutral. Most good plants want it slightly
acidic (6 to 6.5), and some want it more so. Strawberries and

blueberries
like acidic soil. Decide what you are going to grow, and adjust your

soil
to that. Too much lime and all you will be able to raise is weeds.

Quite right Dwayne, if your soil is showing a ph of 6.5 up to 7. then

that's
OK, most things should grow well, don't use any lime and you will need to
look elsewhere for your problem. But I doubt that is the case from what

you
say.
Some types of plants prefer a more acid soil (blueberries demand it) and
others, like all brassicas, want a more alkaline soil which is why, on a
rotation basis, it's the brassica bed that gets limed and that bed is then
used for spuds the next season etc.
The type of soil also changes the amount of lime needed, clay needs more
than sandy.

Has anyone else noticed a reduction in ground slugs after liming like my
friend?

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.