Old 12-02-2003, 06:26 PM
simy1

Default Filling raised beds

"Tony" wrote in message news:4799EE8549186942.5DA3DEDA59568053.C986D99414 ...
I plan to make a few raised beds for various places around my property over
the next few weeks. I'm doing this mainly because my existing soil isn't
very good and the beds would also look nice in the landscaping.

I currently have nothing to fill the raised beds with. I'm looking for
something economical. A local nursery suggested very fine grind mulch.
They indicated that is what they used to pot up all the things they sell.

I figured that a truckload of that plus organics that I could buy to
supplement it might work nicely and it's not outrageously expensive. Anyone
have any other suggestions?

I'm located in northwest Florida.

Tony

First, don't fill them. For fertilization purposes (assuming you grow
veggies), you will have to add two inches of manure every year (sandy
soil) to three years (clay). Leave at least five inches to the top -
that will buy you ten years or so before they fill up.
Find someone who owns horses or cows and get a truckload of manure.
That will come free and is a better fertilizer than other bulk
materials such as leaves woodchips or straw. Here tree contractors
will bring you unlimited amounts of woodchips for free, but they take
a long time to disintegrate, acidify the soil, and have medium
fertility. They are the best for perennials, fruit trees, and
acid-loving plants.