Old 26-02-2003, 02:21 PM
Martin Sykes

Default Pruning Cistus

"Robert Davies" wrote in message
I've got a couple of Cistus bushes, about three years old and three
feet high, which are looking a bit leggy with a lot of bare wood lower
down. Ideally I'd like to prune them back to about six inches (i'e.
beneath all the green shoots) to make them bush out again. But I
remember reading somewhere that Cistus don't like being pruned hard.
Should I give it a go or will it just kill them?

I found Cistus really easy to take soft/semi-ripe cuttings from. My cuttings
from early last year have grown from 3" to about 15" already.

Martin