Old 02-02-2006, 02:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright

Default Help!

How much time/money can you invest? Seriously???

The obvious answer would be to remove the debris, till the soil deeply, add
several inches of amendments (topsoil, compost, etc), and till that in.

Since a cubic yard only covers 108 square feet at 3" deep, it would take
quite a few cubic yards of amendments to "fix" even a modest sized area...

If you're in it for the long haul and have the resources to undertake a
major project, you'd probably be happy over the long term.

If not, cover the area with mulch and forget it. Halfway measures (like
adding a 1/2" amendment layer) really don't help much. The good thing about
mulch is that if you're still there in 10 years, all the repeat mulchings
will have turned the soil into good material...

KB

"Sigster" wrote in message

Ok guys,here`s my problem. Ive moved into a brand new house which
unfortunately has had nothing done to the back area. Its just a mess of
earth and bricks at the moment. I want to turn it into a lawn but its
not as simple as just removing all the rubble. The earth is clay.
Heavily clay and really retains the water badly. Having viewed some of
my neighbours back gardens its obvious all some of them have done is
turfed on top of the clay and what rain we have had has really messed
up their (once) pristine lawns. Ive got a few ideas around removing
some clay, and adding topsoil but would be interested to hear what
other ideas people have particularly considering any drainage issues.

--
Sigster